Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Short Story I Liked Best

Of the ten short stories we read, "A Rose for Emily", was my favorite.  It remined me of the movie, Gone With The Wind.  The story talked about the graves of the Union and Confederate soldiers who fell at the battle of Jefferson.  It also said that Homer was a northener.  I tried to compare Emily with Scarlet O'Hara.  The story talks about Emily's house.  How it look rundown and not taken care of.  I imagine at some time it was beautiful and buzzing with Emily's family and servants.  Emily was proud of her family and her hertiage.  She tried to keep up the house and work but she grew older and lonely after her father died.  Now it was just her and the Negro servant.  I believe he could have been a slave and was loyal to the Grierson family for many years.  He must have felt obligated to Emily because her family was gone and she was alone.  After Emily's death he was finally free and went on his way.  In Gone With The Wind, Scarlet lost everything her family had after the Civil War.  Her servants were loyal to her and stayed with her.  Scarlet was a woman that was never satisifed with what she had.  She was wealthy and beautiful.  All the boys wanted to date her.  She always wanted more. She wanted things she could not have.  She didn't know what she truly had until it was gone.  Emily wanted things she never had before.  She wanted someone to love and who loved her back.  She wanted companionship.  She wanted to be respected and noticed by her neighbors and so called friends.  She was determined to be happy.  Scarlet could get any man she wanted.  Emily, had to kill one to get him.  Emily died sad and lonely, while Scarlet told herself, tommorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. I just blogged how "A Rose for Emily" was my least favorite of the stories and then I read your post and may have to change my mind. I was reading the story only through the eyes of the narrator. I never thought of the story from Emily's point of view. What a sad life she must have lead, once being vibrant and now being pitied. I'll have to read this again to get a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete