Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Blue Winds Dancing"

I work at an elementary school as a teacher assistant.  Over the course of 14yrs.  I have experienced many different and unique children.  I tell myself every new school year that I'm not going to get attached to one certain child, but, if never fails, I do.  Describing people, things, or places is not one of my strong points.  Creativeness is very hard for me.  But, here goes.  One year while working in 3rd grade a new girl moved in.  Her name was Taylor.  She was an average little girl, sort of tall and slim in statuer.  She had sandy-blond hair that was long and striaght.  She always wore it pulled back in a high ponytail.  If she would let it down it would probably hang past her waist.  She had very pettie facial features.  Tiny little nose, curved chin and an always smiling, friendly, face.  She had the sweetest personality.  She got along with all the other children and was always polite.  Taylor did not wear the lastest fashion in clothes, but, they were always neat and clean.  One feature that I did not get to see very often was Taylor's eyes. You see Taylor could not see very well.  She was born with an eye deseise.  Even though she could see somewhat, she was labeled leagally blind.    She wore glasses with lenses so thick they looked like the bottoms of those old glass coca cola bottles.  These glasses help Taylor see enough to get around independently, even though she could only see a few feet in front of her.  If I hadn't met and known Taylor, I would have never known she had this disability.  She walked up and down the hall, went to lunch, played on the playground, did her homework, could read above grade level and write, as well as the other children in her class.  All of her papers had to be enlarged as much as possible. It took her a little longer to complete the task, but she was determined to finish each one.  I remember the day Taylor received a special machine that magnified her papers and books.  It sat on her desk and she learned to use it quickly.  She was so happy and grateful.  The other children treated her as if she was one of them and helped her in anyway they could.  Taylor never complained or used her disability as a crutch.  She was very independent and determined.  She was always willing to try and never said I can't.  That was about 10yrs. ago.  Taylor is probably a beautiful young lady now.  I would love to see her again and see how far she has come.  There is always one child each year that touches my heart.  It's like having 20 more children of my own.  I love each and everyone of them, despite their flaws and problems they are all wonderful children and just wanted to be loved.   

1 comment:

  1. Working with children for 13 years I understand not wanting to get attached to children but at least one of them always wins your heart. The best thing about children is that the love they give you is true love. They don't do it because they want something or are trying to manipulate you so they can get something in return.
    If we could only learn from others and treat people that are different from us the same way children do. The world would be a better place.
    My love for children is very strong and it is evident when I read stories like this and it really touches me.

    ReplyDelete